• California landowners who cut 38 trees in Oakland hills hit with $915,000 fine

    From useapen@yourdime@outlook.com to alt.home.repair,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns on Wed May 13 07:40:32 2026
    From Newsgroup: alt.home.repair

    After two previous attempts to decide how to deal with a couple who
    chopped down 38 trees in North Oakland in violation of the cityAs
    Protected Trees Ordinance, the Oakland City Council decided Tuesday to
    fine them $915,135.

    The fine is perhaps the largest ever in Oakland for destroying trees.

    Councilmembers Janani Ramachandran, Noel Gallo, Kevin Jenkins, Zac Unger
    and Charlene Wang voted for the fine. Rowena Brown, Carroll Fife and Ken Houston voted no.

    Emeryville residents Matthew Bernard and Lynn Warner purchased the
    hillside lot behind the Claremont Hotel and Club in 2019. Two years
    later, city staff said the couple started felling trees without permits.
    The trees included native live oaks, broad-leaf maples, buckeyes and
    other species.

    Bernard repeatedly ignored warnings that he needed permits to cut down
    the trees, city staff said. Some of the trees were on neighboring
    properties.

    The couple applied for building permits to construct a single-family
    residence, but Oakland issued them a notice of violation of the cityAs protected tree ordinance last year. When staff calculated the value of
    each tree u from a small plum worth $750 to a mature coast live oak
    valued at $95,000 u the total was nearly $1 million.

    City staff say trees provide valuable ecosystem services like preventing
    fires, holding hillside together against erosion and debris flows,
    supporting biodiversity, cleaning the air and improving peopleAs mental
    health.

    Bernard and Warner requested a public hearing on the matter before the
    City Council, an option afforded to people facing fines under the cityAs
    tree protection law.

    The council was unable to resolve the matter during its first two
    attempts in December and April. At its April 14 meeting, a motion to
    impose the maximum fine did not pass after councilmembers Fife, Brown
    and Houston voted no, and GalloAs absence was recorded as a no vote.

    In the run-up to todayAs meeting, environmental advocates flooded the councilmembersA inboxes with messages supporting the fine.

    Some spoke at the meeting, saying they were concerned that if the city
    didnAt fine Bernard and Warner, it would send a message to developers
    and other property owners that they could chop down trees with impunity.

    oThis is not simply an environmental issue,o said Arash Daneshzadeh,
    director of programs at the Oakland Parks and Recreation Foundation.
    oItAs a civic, public safety and equity issue. When violations,
    particularly in egregious cases like this, go unpenalized, it sends a
    clear message that compliance is optional.o

    Before todayAs vote, Bernard made his case to the council, arguing he
    had tried in good faith to follow the cityAs process. He also claimed
    that some of the 38 trees were already cut down or diseased and dead.

    oWe dispute there were 38 trees removed,o he said. oSome trees fell
    prior to our purchase, others fell during storms.o

    City staff said they gathered extensive evidence of the violations and
    included in materials submitted to the council were photographs of the
    lot before and after the trees were cut, photos of people cutting trees
    on the property and detailed reports by OaklandAs arborist staff. Police
    also took reports when they responded to the property while Bernard and
    others were cutting trees.

    Bernard asked the council to resolve the matter by waiving the fine and allowing him and Warner to replant new trees after they built their
    home.

    Councilmembers Brown and Fife wanted to find a solution more favorable
    to Bernard. Brown called OaklandAs protected tree ordinance ooutdatedo
    and said it felt unfair to impose such a large fine on the property
    owners for chopping down trees the city would likely have permitted
    removal of anyway.

    oI believe a truly equitable approach requires us to distinguish between preventable loss and inevitable removal,o she said. She tried to get her colleagues to vote for a roughly $300,000 reduction in the fine.

    Fife railed against what she said were racially inequitable policies,
    making comparisons with the drug war, mass incarceration and
    colonization, while noting that Bernard is Black and his property is
    located in an area where people of color were prohibited from living in
    the early 20th century. She supported BrownAs proposal.

    In the end, a majority of the council embraced the notion that laws
    matter and the city shouldnAt be making excuses for people who violate
    them.

    Ramachandran said Oakland needs oto be crystal clear to anyone who wants
    to come into our city and trash our city, and violate our laws, and
    think you can get away with it: aYou are going to be fined.o

    Similarly, Jenkins said Oakland needs to restore the confidence among
    residents that it will uphold its laws. Appealing to Gallo and Houston u
    both of whom frequently complain during council meetings about their frustrations with the perception that Oakland is lawless u Jenkins asked
    them to support the fine.

    oAre we going to enforce the laws? Do they mean anything?o he said.

    https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/california-landowners-who-cut-38-tree s-in-oakland-22245228.php
    --- Synchronet 3.22a-Linux NewsLink 1.2
  • From Governor Gavin NewScam@gavin@department.of.scams.dnc to alt.home.repair on Thu May 14 06:41:23 2026
    From Newsgroup: alt.home.repair

    This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------AF8rTfcrk3OMMUoCCzix0E0M
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

    On 5/13/26 03:40, useapen wrote:
    After two previous attempts to decide how to deal with a couple who
    chopped down 38 trees in North Oakland in violation of the cityrCOs
    Protected Trees Ordinance, the Oakland City Council decided Tuesday to
    fine them $915,135.

    The fine is perhaps the largest ever in Oakland for destroying trees.

    Democrats are vicious little bitches.

    --------------AF8rTfcrk3OMMUoCCzix0E0M
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
    </head>
    <body>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 5/13/26 03:40, useapen wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite" cite="mid:XnsB44B6DE8B0F2BX@157.180.91.226">
    <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">After two previous attempts to decide how to deal with a couple who
    chopped down 38 trees in North Oakland in violation of the cityrCOs
    Protected Trees Ordinance, the Oakland City Council decided Tuesday to
    fine them $915,135.

    The fine is perhaps the largest ever in Oakland for destroying trees.</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <p>Democrats are vicious little bitches.</p>
    </body>
    </html>

    --------------AF8rTfcrk3OMMUoCCzix0E0M--
    --- Synchronet 3.22a-Linux NewsLink 1.2